“Connecting the Community at the Core”
School Liaison Officer
Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily
PSC 812 Box 3390
FPO AE 09627
School Liaison Officer have the intent to level the playing field for transitioning military children and youth. SLO’s will help prepare students, parents, schools and Navy leaders respond to permanent-change-of-station (PCS) and deployment issues impacting school-age children. They will help Navy families be the best “advocates” for their child’s education. SLO’s will work closely with local school personnel to identify and resolve issues that impact transitioning military students and will serve as a link between military families and schools during in and out-processing periods and deployments.To make the connection, CYP will work very closely with Fleet and Family Support providing deployment support, counseling and advocacy, relocation assistance and ombudsman support.SLO’s will also link with services and programs delivered to Navy families in the Exceptional Family Member Program. They will be the primary advisor to commanding officers and staff on matters relating to schools serving the installation.
Navy SLO’s will provide six core services:
- School Transition Services: Focus is on permanent-change-of-station moves and “leveling playing field” for transitioning military children and youth.
- Deployment Support: SLO’s will serve as a conduit, connecting educators to the Navy deployment support system to inform educators on the cycles of deployment and tools that are available to assist them when working with Navy children.
- Command, School, Community Communications: The SLO will provide support as the subject matter expert for commanders on K-12 issues to connect command, schools and community resources.
- Home School Linkage and Support: SLO’s will assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts. In addition, they will leverage Navy CYP resources to support these families.
- Partnerships In Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support all installation and community members who have a stake in the success of all youth.
- Post-Secondary Preparations: SLO’s will leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
Seven Core Objectives:
- School Transition Services (PCS Cycle)
- Deployment Support
- Command, School & Community Communications
- Home School Linkage and Support
- Partnerships in Education
- Post-Secondary Preparations
- Special Education System Navigation
Connecting With Our Schools:
Other Educational Resources:
- Student 2 Student
- Youth Sponsorship
- Military K-12
- Military Student- www.militarystudent.org
- School Matters- www.schoolmatters.com
- School Quest- www.schoolquest.org
Home Schooling & Legal Resources: